I decided to make a list of 27 things I’m thankful for or proud of that happened while I was 27, plus something I’m looking forward to. Read on, if you’d like to know!
1. I am thankful to still have a job when things didn’t look so promising this time last year.
2. I applied for the first Union County Public Schools global teacher cohort and got in.
3. I fought for my job and a school program I believed in for elementary schools in a respectful manner and even though it didn’t pan out, I do understand and I’m grateful to have the position I’ve been given.
4. I stepped out of something nice, fun, familiar and comfortable into something completely new, unknown and I had no idea what to expect in my new school and new position. Grateful to have it.
5. I coached an Odyssey of the Mind team for the 4th year in a row and we got 1st in regionals and 3rd in the state.
6. I was blessed with the opportunity to travel with another Unionville OM team to World Finals in Maryland. A great time to get to know families and kids.
7. I kept my foot in the door with OM this school year – coaching again with a fun, hilarious friend and kids I know at the middle school AND elementary school.
8. I visited and survived driving through Atlanta, Georgia.
9. I got to see Keith Urban in Charlotte with my cousin.
10. In December of last year I went to see White Christmas on stage with a great friend and her daughters.
11. I saw over 2000 people baptized over 2 weekends at Elevation.
12. I spent a good bit of time doing a “summer cleanse” to get rid of a lot of unnecessary/unused items.
13. I got a Keurig for Christmas last year and have since spent a lot less rationalizing with myself that it’s ok go get Starbucks in the morning on the way to school (bad when you have 3 within a mile from you).
14. I got to hang out with my college roommate for a day or two in Charlotte and meet her sister-in-law and family who live here and go to Elevation.
15. I met Maria Crandall and her husband and saw them launch into the realm of amazing in eKidz.
16. I have the opportunity to be both a nerd (doing research, organizing and planning on global issues, topics, etc.) and teach at the same time this year and am not taking it for granted.
17. I got to visit my alma mater twice – once for my sister’s senior recital and then for her graduation from Eastern.
18. I got to use and have a Promethean board in my classroom and learn some other new pieces of technology (therefore discovering I’m even more of a geek than even I originally thought).
19. My family moved back to the South!
20. I get to see former students and reconnect with them and continue relationships with those who moved up to middle school just this year along with me.
21. I’ve continued to pay more per month on my student loans than what is due.
22. I instituted and survived a self-imposed “No Spend Month” in March.
23. Attended Ladies’ Night with Christine Caine in January – an incredible time not soon to be forgotten.
24. I gave up a crazy, unexpected situation to God and had more peace about it than I ever expected even though it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through (saying goodbye to people and a place I loved at Unionville).
25. I created a pretty cool video using iPhoto and GarageBand to commemorate time with my cousin.
26. I was able to walk around Washington DC during the day time (as opposed to night time in college on a spur of the moment trip) with a great family and see THE RUBY SLIPPERS from the Wizard of Oz.
27. I am thankful for my friends and everyone I get to serve with and learn from at Elevation.
And 28… I’m thankful I have most of my family, my friends and my church nearby and in my life on a daily basis. A true blessing.